3.23.2011

Nora, Panic! and Jimi, oh my!

After promises of not neglecting SayWAM, what did I do? Neglect SayWAM.

For real this time, I'm back. Really. And oh boy are there exciting things in the works...

In the meantime, check out this cat!
My cat, Theodore, cheats. He just hits the demo button and pretends to play. Nora though? She's legit. Rock on, Nora.


So I actually picked up some new-new music yesterday. Panic! At the Disco has released their third full-length studio album. I've been a Panic! fan since their debut album A Fever You Can't Sweat Out (2005),  with their driving rhythms and witty, rapid-fire lyrics that left their listeners tongue tied. Needless to say, I was shocked when their second album, Pretty. Odd., was released in 2008. Talk about a completely different sound. But they rocked it. They became so melodic - less driving more...sentimental. And virtually every song was completely different from the one before it, and yet the whole album was cohesive. They did a lot of interesting things instrumentally too - some of which were reminiscent of their first album. That brings us to yesterday, March 22, 2011 and the release of album number three, Vices & Virtues.

I like it. I really like it. It took a couple listens for me to catch on to a couple of tracks, but the opening track, "The Ballade of Mona Lisa" hooked me immediately. Throughout the album, I can hear echos of the two previous albums personalities - without the band doing the exactly the same thing. It's lovely and I highly recommend you check it out. The music video's pretty OK too. Very steampunk. It's fun. You could look it up or why not just watch it here.



Wanna know something especially cool? You can hear the entire album streaming on the band's official website right here: Click it!

Wanna see something especially cool?

There's a mosaic artist in the UK named Ed Chapman. He put together this wicked awesome mosaic portrait of Jimi Hendrix. Out of what, you may ask: Guitar picks. Five. Thousand. Guitar picks (or plectrums, as this website calls them...but, and feel free to call me uneducated,  I've never heard that term before....Jenna = not a guitarist.)

Possibly the best part of this incredible work of art, is that it was auctioned in February at Cancer Research UK's Sound & Vision event at Abbey Road Studios. How much did it go for? £23,000

OK, kids - that's all I have for you today. But like I said before, there are some cool things coming up for SayWAM. Check in once in awhile. Drop a line or something.

Keep on rocking in the free world.




...
Silly Theo...The keyboard is for rocking, not for napping...



No comments: